Sunday 1 May 2016

“You Need Not Stay Silenced” by Ryan Worth

My name is Ryan Worth.  I’m 22 and have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy so that I’m wheelchair bound.

I have recently become the newly elected North West Young Labour Disabilities Officer. This is a fantastic opportunity not just for myself but also for those with disabilities and their families to have someone like me to represent them - someone who is experiencing the same lack of support in certain areas.  I joined the Labour party in 2010 and was just a member until last year when I attended my first meetings.  I enjoyed it and wanted to become more involved.  I could see the under-representation of the Disabled, LBGT and BAME  population and knew that I could do more.

Before this, I was the type of person who was against injustices but would do nothing about it.  However, I realised that I had to do something - I had to be anti-injustice and not just complain within my family home.  I struggle to get to certain events due to the state of the social care system, but when I can make it I will fight for injustices and for better rights for disabled people.

I heard of the North West Youth Labour conference in Blackpool and I stood for the role of Disability Officer.  The most shocking aspect of standing for the role is that I was unopposed - not one disabled person stood against me.  This angers me as it means that they lack the support to even involve themselves politically and I strongly believe that this needs to be changed.

My job entails exploring issues facing the disabled community.  I believe you need to have someone disabled such as myself to represent you because only a disabled person truly understands ensuing problems.  Another role would be to try to involve people with disabilities in the political process and maybe ultimately encourage them to become active in campaigns and meetings.

People are free to contact me and let me know the issues they are facing.  I will then try to use my role to help maximise the impact on your case in your favour.  It won’t be a magic fix, but I promise to fight tooth and nail for anyone who approaches me.

This article by myself is not to show a political bias but as a message to disabled people that you need not stay silenced.  With support we can achieve so much, but we have to have a united voice.  Our rights and safeguards need our input if we are to improve society together.

Email: ryanworth1993@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment