Tuesday 12 April 2016

Unequal opportunities... Unexpected avenues by Jon Powton


As a sufferer of Becker Muscular dystrophy I have had my fair share of doors slammed in my face over the years. 

It has always been a bug bear for me that despite my qualifications and my experience in engineering that my disability has been such an obstacle for potential employers. It’s amazing how attitudes change when disability gets mentioned...and how continuous rejection eventually made me stop trying.

I am sure in this I am not alone...I can say with a fair amount of confidence that many disabled people face this kind of attitudinal prejudice, and are not truly offered an even playing field.

Wouldn’t it be refreshing to find a path where not only are we given the same chances as everyone else, but where overcoming the struggles of disability can be used in a positive way. My illness has changed the way I think. My whole adult life has been about challenge and obstacle and how I have to do things differently from able bodied people, in short it has given me a unique set of skills. I’m more thoughtful, honest, organised, introspective and determined, and perhaps most importantly I’m more caring.

5 years ago I became a foster carer with The National Fostering Agency, my disability has not been a barrier for me. I foster children on my abilities not my disability. The fact that my illness inherently gave me some of the skills needed for this job, is I suppose ironic. but it’s a fact. I followed the same assessment process as every other carer, no special treatment, but most importantly no pre-judgements. I was told, “If you’re capable, and have the right skills and meet the right criteria. You can foster”.

I found the allusive fair crack of the whip.... Fostering disadvantaged children is a privilege, it’s the hardest job in the world, but is by far the most rewarding. It is also a professional role, just as is a doctor or a nurse or a social worker, and as such commands a professional salary. No-one fosters for the money, but no one would do it for free, it’s a career, and it has to pay the mortgage. FACT.
Fostering is not for everyone, but maybe it’s for you. I am striving to give disabled people the information, there is an avenue that maybe you have never considered, that is actually willing to consider you. Without bias, without saying no just because you have a disability. You may still be told no, but the reasons will be considered, in a fair an equal way.

If you think this is for you, or would like more information. Disabled or not. Please contact The National Fostering Agency at www.nfa.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment