Thursday 1 December 2016

Informing the DVLA about Changes in your Health - Jon McVey

I like driving, I have always enjoyed the feeling of independence that enables me to do many useful and enjoyable things.

After spending time in hospital following a head injury after a fall I was advised by the doctors that I couldn’t drive for 3 months and  needed to inform the DVLA.  I completed a form B1to report my medical condition to the DVLA.
 
If a doctor tells you that you must stop driving, or if your health means that you cannot drive to the appropriate standard you must surrender your licence.  If you don’t you can be fined up to £1,000.
After I had informed the DVLA I was quite quickly sent a letter which explained that the process would take some time. My details were referred to the medical committee which resulted in additional delays. They wanted additional information including an assessment with my GP. If I had completed the original form with my GP, this stage might not have been necessary and saved some time.  In future I will certainly do this. When the three months were up I still hadn’t heard from the DVLA or received my licence back.  That was a concern as we were about to go on holiday and not being able to drive would have been a problem, so I phoned the DVLA Drivers’ Medical Enquiries line. 

They informed me that this was not a problem as there is a provision in law under Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act (RTA) 1988 that allows you to drive while DVLA processes your application. In practice, this means that when you send your application to DVLA to be renewed and your license expires (runs out) while they are processing your application, you may be able to continue driving so long as your doctor says that you are fit to drive. There are times however when you may need a licence, e.g. travelling abroad or changing your motability car. 

With relief, I finally did receive my new licence. I now have to renew it every three years and have renewed it once. Changes in my ability to use a handbrake meant that again it was a long process, but I was able to continue driving while they reviewed my application and arranged assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment