Thursday 1 December 2016

Useful Gadgets

Electric underblankets
The bees knees I was introduced to electric under blankets following a lucky escape when a hot water bottle burst.  I have a profiling bed and use the back support daily.  The best one I found was the Dreamland fleece fitted electric under blanket.  It’s been fine whilst others kept breaking after a few months.  It has 6 heat settings and can be on for either 1 or 9 hours. I plug it into a timer switch to keep on for 2 – 3 hours, which is enough for me!  You can get them from John Lewis (single bed £40) with a 3 year guarantee. Well worth it!
http://www.johnlewis.com/dreamland16295-heated-fleece-fitted-single-electricunderblanket-white/p2999603#prev 

Message in a Bottle
A free and simple way to ensure that essential information is readily available to the emergency services should you suffer an accident or sudden illness at home. Free bottles are available in participating GPs surgeries, pharmacists, libraries, voluntary organisations and community groups.

Where’s My Droid
Having knocked myself out after a fall it seemed a good idea that I had some way for people to find me. The last thing I wanted was to lose my independence. I installed a free app called Where’s My Droid on my phone. It uses the GPS on the phone to shown the location on a Google map. If the battery runs out it records the last location. Also great if you lose your phone. www.wheresmydroid.com

Samsung phone voice activated camera mode
Do you struggle taking photos with your smart phone?  Keeping a steady hand, shaking it when you press the shutter button?  If you’ve a Samsung phone, you might have a ‘voice activated’ mode built in.  It’s great – you just say the word ‘smile’ or ‘cheese’ and it takes the photo automatically.  It can be used to take videos, use the timer mode or go to the gallery too. To switch it on, open the camera and click on settings (the cog) then the 3 dots.  Look for a microphone symbol that has ‘voice control’ under it – then tap it to switch it on.  Or depending on the model you have, touch the > in camera mode and then an icon with a microphone. Simples!   
More details are on the link below http:// www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ ANS00040476/ 

Do you have any items that are great that you’d like to let us know about? Please contact the One Voice team!

No comments:

Post a Comment