Thursday 30 April 2015

Riding For The Disabled – Susan Moore

I joined my local “Riding for the Disabled” group in 2002 at the age of 54, having never having sat on a horse before! After completing a rider application form, and a medical questionnaire (that my GP completed) I was placed on a waiting list. It was some weeks before I was offered a place to ride each week.

Getting on
The first hurdle that I had to overcome was actually getting onto a horse. I was able to stand, and with lots of help (it took four helpers) I managed to get onto the mounting block. Dismounting proved to be somewhat easier, but still required three helpers. Initially the whole procedure seemed awkward and clumsy but it soon got easier when the mounting team became familiar with the type of assistance that I required.

Some groups do have wheelchair mounting blocks with ramps and some groups have hoists. However I have not had experience of using either of these so I am unable to say how easy/difficult they are. My group now have a higher mounting block. It has an extra step but a much bigger area for rider and helper to stand on, so it does make the process much easier and safer.

First session
At my first riding session I was led on a kind, well-mannered horse at a gentle walking pace. I was riding in a group with four other riders and after a few weeks I experienced my first trot! It gave me a sense of freedom that I hadn't
experienced in a long time and I went home feeling so much better both physically and mentally. Physically my posture improves at least for the hour I am sat in the saddle, and the movement of the horse actually helps to loosen me up. Over the years I have lost even more muscle strength but with the help of an experienced, sympathetic instructor and helpers I have been managed to overcome any issues as they have occurred. Due to the muscle wasting effects of FSH I have only partial use of my right arm and learnt to ride with adapted reins that have a bar across the centre which I can hold with one hand.

Time to compete
In 2009 I competed for the first time in an "Introduction to Dressage" class at the RDA West Mercia Regional Dressage competition. As this was an introduction class I was able to do the class being led, however, I still had to do all the work without the leader influencing my movements. I achieved a second place and my first rosette!

This success spurred me on to want to do more competing and the following year I applied to the RDA national office to be profiled and graded as a para rider. This involved being assessed and classified by an RDA physiotherapist trained in the para equestrian classification system. I was graded as a 1a rider which enabled me to compete in grade 1a walk only dressage tests. The grading assessment is not dissimilar to the muscle assessments carried out by the physiotherapists at the NMC!
 
In 2011 I won the grade 1a class in the RDA Regional Dressage championship qualifying class and two months later I qualified to compete in the RDA National Championships where I gained a respectable 5th place. I qualified again in 2013 and gained 7th place. In championship qualifying classes and the championships themselves you are required to ride completely independently - it's just you and the horse alone in an empty dressage arena for what at the time, seems like an eternity.

Volunteer
As well as being a rider I am also a volunteer with my group. In 2008 I was invited to join the committee as the group’s rider representative and a few months later I became the groups Volunteer Co-ordinator, a role I continue to do today.

Being a volunteer as well as a rider, I do feel that I am giving something back, even
if it is only my time. It is very enjoyable and rewarding knowing that in a small way you are helping others to enjoy what you enjoy yourself. On occasions it can be frustrating too, but knowing that without the committee and an army of willing helpers, people like myself and my fellow riders would not be able to participate in a very enjoyable and for some, challenging activity. Last October I was approached by the chair of the West Mercia Regional committee asking if I would consider taking on the role of Regional Rider Representative. After much thought and pondering, I thought 'why not', so now I have another new challenge to get to grips with.

Why did I choose to learn to ride?
So why did I choose to take up riding? I was finally diagnosed with FSH at the age of 46 having had unexplained symptoms from birth and spending huge chunks of my childhood/teenage years backwards and forwards to various hospitals. In the same year I was also diagnosed with diabetes. At this stage I was still reasonably mobile and with my diet, managed to keep everything under control until 2001 when a sudden and rapid change in the diabetes meant I had to go on to insulin injections.  I was told some sort of gentle exercise would help too. Walking and swimming were non-starters. I was using a wheelchair outdoors and had lost partial use of one arm and I had never learnt to swim anyway. I had always wanted to ride, so it seemed like an obvious choice.  

Pleasure and enjoyment
Riding for the Disabled has given me so much pleasure and enjoyment as well as enabling me to achieve in a sport. Something I never thought possible. It has also given me some wonderful opportunities, far too many to mention and I have made many good friends along the way. All riders whether physically or severely learning impaired, young or old are on a level playing field and equal to each other. This applies whether riding in a group session or competing. To quote the RDA motto, "It's what you can do that counts".

Anyone wanting to know more about riding or volunteering with the Riding for the Disabled Association should consult the RDA National website at www.rda.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment