Thursday 30 April 2015

Cough Assist Machine, A Patient’s Perspective – Andrea Duckworth

It was whilst at a routine home appointment to replace my ventilator (which I use at night), that the nurse explained that she felt my breathing seemed slightly laboured and I seemed a bit hoarse.

She suggested a few things, one of which was a Cough Assist machine. A few weeks later she came back to visit, armed with the Cough Assist Machine and the Respiratory Physiotherapist.

They both explained how the machine worked and took me through it step by step. Firstly they had a go just to illustrate how it worked. Then it was my turn! It took a bit of getting used to but they adjusted the settings until I felt comfortable with them. The pressure is quite forceful but the key is to get into a good rhythm.

It took me a little while to feel really comfortable using it. The idea is that I use the Cough Assist machine prophylactically (as a preventative measure) to keep everything clear and flowing smoothly, rather than waiting to get a bad cough or cold and then really needing to use it, but actually feeling to tired and weak to use it. It is quite a forced pressure but one that you can get used to.

I try and use the Cough Assist morning and night so that once I get out of bed in the morning I am able to clear any secretions that have developed overnight, and again before I get into bed in the evening so that I clear any secretions before I lie down at night.

It is another gadget to store but it’s just under my bed and I just pull it out to use it. I have really found that this has helped me – it makes my throat feel clearer, my breathing seems better and I feel more alert. I feel I am doing as much as I can to help my breathing be as effective as possible within the disease limitations. I hope that I do not pick up coughs and colds but I am reassured that my Cough Assist machine will help that bit more if I do get one!

No comments:

Post a Comment