Thursday 30 April 2015

Keeping Warm - Brrr.... it’s cold! – Sanjay Vaja

During the past few years, and more so since being in a wheelchair, I have found myself feeling the cold a lot more.  I've tried different ways to keep warm.  Ultimately, it’s been about learning what works for my body. However, there are some general things that I wanted to share, in case they help others.

For me, it’s about keeping my ‘core’ warm – my upper body / chest area. If my upper body is cold, my body says ‘right, time to conserve energy’ and literally switches off the heating to my feet. No matter how many thick socks or thermals I’m wearing, or sitting with the fan heater on, it doesn’t make any difference if the internal heating has been switched off.  

How do I keep the upper body/chest area warm?
Thin layers and long sleeved tops. Either a long sleeve thermal top, or cotton long sleeve T-shirts, or just an ordinary long sleeved shirt. Sometimes with, or without a short sleeve T-shirt underneath. Then a thin long sleeve jumper on top (eg a thin lambswool jumper). Those big woolly jumpers don’t do much for me, plus they are heavy and restrict movement. There’s also room for a fleece on top of it all if I’m heading out.

My neck
Mum always tells me to keep my neck warm – and she’s right – it makes a huge difference! If my neck is shielded from the wind and cold, I feel noticeably warmer. Plus it seems to be quite trendy these days to wear a scarf.

Shoes
My podiatrist ordered some insulating insoles for me. A thin polystyrene looking layer that can go on top of existing insole, or a thicker one that can replace the existing insole.  I can really feel the difference when I've got them in. Simple, but effective.

Socks
I tried some Bridgedale Comfort Trekker socks and also some Bridgedale Endurance Trekker socks. They are really warm wool socks and not too thick – the Endurance Trekker ones are warmer. Just be careful as you may need bigger shoes but for around the house, they’re great. The other ones I've found great are the everyday M&S wool blend socks – they look and feel like normal socks but are warmer.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridgedale-Endurance-Trekker-Mens-Socks/dp/B000OIOQXA
http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pairs-of-lambswool-blend-thermal-long-socks/p/p20027016

My podiatrist suggested I try ‘silver socks.’  They are recommended for people who have Raynauds. They’re designed to “minimise the radiative heat loss by actively reflecting 95% of the body’s energy back to the skin. This makes them a lot warmer compared to conventional socks.” I’m not sure if they worked or not – I need to try them again now that I've worked out to keep my core warm. Perhaps that will be a winning combination? They can be found at the Raynauds Shop: http://www.rsa-shop.co.uk/index.php

Other useful information about chilblains and keeping warm can be found on the Raynauds website under the Raynauds menu on the right: http://www.raynauds.org.uk/index.php

Gloves
For a while now I've used ‘magic gloves’ that are thin but have little rubber bobbles that help with grip. I used them to grip cold handrails or walking sticks or just because my hand is exposed on the controller arm. They are a ‘one size fits all’ and I've seen them for £1 in Macclesfield (if you want me to get you a pair!).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Warm-Magic-Gloves-GL313/dp/B004APQ0A0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1423595499&sr=8-5&keywords=magic+gloves

Thermal tops
I've found some nice brushed cotton ones from Tesco, with a faux fleece inside. Long sleeve and nice and warm. Most outdoor shops also stock long sleeve thermal tops. My advice would be to make sure that they are not too heavy and that they don’t restrict your daily movement too much.

Thermal bottoms
I have tried a few. Some with a thick elastic waistband but that’s awkward when going to the loo and some with or without a fly (with is easier). I've recently found the pair that seem to work for me – Peter Storm (from Millets/Blacks). They have a soft finish, are stretchy and are slim fit which keeps me warm.  They have a comfortable elastic waist band and soft stretchy ankle cuffs. Everything ticked!
http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/084170-peter-storm-mens-thermal-pants-
khaki.html

Diet and exercise
Diet and exercise are also important. A good diet gives you enough energy to keep warm, and exercise helps with circulation (and keeps physios happy!). Warm drinks and soups are great too!

Sleeping
I have an electric under blanket on my profiling bed. It’s on a timer so it comes on in good time to warm my bed, and switches off when I’m far away in dreamland.  It’s great but the one I’m using so far from Argos, seems to stop working after 4 or 5 months. Perhaps because I’m using the backrest all the time to sit up in bed?  Argos keep replacing it but we’re looking for a better one.

Hopefully there’s something in here that will work for you. If you would like any further information please do drop me a line. Please e.mail sanjman108@gmail.com

Take care and keep warm! Sanjay

No comments:

Post a Comment