Thursday 30 April 2015

Pass Plus Experience by Hannah Langford

I passed my practical driving test in August 2014, which was an important milestone for me.

As I have a Motability car, I was encouraged to undertake the Pass Plus course, as this can lower insurance premiums and improve driver safety. Even if this had not been the case, I would still have been keen to undertake this course because the Pass Plus tuition focuses on motorway driving and adverse driving conditions.

I completed the Pass Plus with my driving instructor in 2 x 3-hour lessons.

I found the experience very worthwhile, as it improved my confidence. The Pass Plus is a very good way to expand your driving experience after passing the practical test as it develops your awareness of risks and how to deal with different situations. During the lessons I was given helpful tips and advice about breaking down on the motorway, night driving, driving in adverse weather conditions and general driving on motorways.

As part of the course I was able to drive into Manchester, which is where I work.  This is a route that I had not done before and was something I was a bit wary of, but I now feel more able to tackle this route.

I was also required by my instructor to simulate breaking down on the motorway, so that I could see how it felt to move onto the hard shoulder and then re-join the motorway. Hopefully this will not happen to me when I am out driving, but I now feel more prepared for this situation should it occur.

I am very glad that I completed the Pass Plus and would recommend it to others who have recently passed their practical driving test.

Motability covered the cost of The Pass Plus tuition as I am between the ages of 16 and 24.

If you would like more information about learning to drive or adapting your vehicle please contact Sue Walker at NMC who will be able to signpost you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment