Monday 30 November 2015

Hydrotherapy - Karen Pritchard

Hydrotherapy is a programme using the properties of water to improve function, carried out by Physiotherapists in a purpose built and correctly heated and equipped hydrotherapy pool.  We are lucky to benefit from this facility here at the Neuromuscular Centre as such, for we have the use of the hydrotherapy pool at the nearby Hebden Green School.  Hydrotherapy is good for us because it: 
  • Reduces muscle tightness and relieves pain
  • Rehabilitates injured muscles and joints by increasing blood flow and speeding up the healing process
  • Provides a safe environment in which to mobilise and exercise people with MD • Provides relaxation and stress relief.
Another important benefit to hydrotherapy is that we are gaining social interaction with others, and also psychological well being. Social isolation can be a problem if you are not getting out of the house and meeting people. It can be good to talk with others that are more often than not are living with the same issues as you!

It is only recently I have really embraced hydrotherapy. It seemed to be a chore for me and hard work getting undressed/dressed but the benefits far outweigh this. I feel relaxed in the pool. I’m able to switch off from things that are weighing on my mind. I also have  exercises that I can get on and do. I feel a real sense of achievement after my session, and I sleep much better after it too! 

If you have not tried out our hydrotherapy sessions why not speak to one of our team of physiotherapists. They can discuss what benefits hydrotherapy will have for you. Also, why not try your local pool. Contact them and find out what disabled facilities they have to offer. Your local pool will probably not be as warm as the pool here at Hebden Green, but I find it relieves my stress just being in the water. I just don’t stay in the pool as long! 

Did you know...  The increased blood flow and circulation of white blood cells around the body allows lymph — an immune system fluid (that helps get rid of unwanted materials from the body) to be moved through the body more efficiently and therefore strengthens the immune system to fight colds and illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment