Monday 30 November 2015

Mindfullness

Hi everyone. My name is Jonathan Brough and I’ve been lucky enough to have been supported by the NMC for quite a few years now.  Over the years there were times when I struggled to come to terms with things, and worried about what the future held for myself and my family.  To a degree I experienced a level of anxiety and depression connected to this.  As a registered nurse, about five years ago I was introduced to mindfulness.  Mindfulness is a life skill which involves paying attention to what is occurring in the present moment, instead of worrying or stressing about something that’s happened before or what may happen. It engages all our senses as we become aware of our body, emotions, thoughts and our environment. For the last 5 years I have continued to practice mindfulness with Breathworks, which has developed a mindfulness programme helping people to better manage their health conditions, pain, and stress.  I have recently completed my training to become an Accredited Breathworks trainer.  I know how much mindfulness has helped me to come to terms with my condition, and I know that it can help others like me.  I’ve discussed the possibility of me providing some mindfulness training for the NMC. This could be for those who are being supported by the NMC regarding their own condition, their carers, or staff.  To give people a better understanding of what mindfulness is I’m hoping to run some mindfulness taster sessions at the NMC. So that it can be properly planned I need to have an idea of how many people would be interested.  If you would like to take part in a two hour session in the new year,  please contact me at jonathanwithbreathworks@ gmail.com to express your interest.  If you want to know more about Breathworks mindfulness training please look at their website at http://www.breathworksmindfulness.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment