Monday 30 November 2015

Thank You Sue - We Will Miss You

Word flies around the NMC...’What, leaving us! It must be just a rumour!’’.  Sue laughs.  “Well” she says “I am reaching that certain age now, and can’t be here forever! “  Sue’s role within NMC has changed tremendously over the years. She has managed to bring a whole new meaning to ‘support worker’, not just supporting people with neuromuscular conditions, but also their carers.  She has the ability to listen and bring out the needs of a  person in order to provide appropriate assistance, so what does she attribute this to?   “ Instinct”’ she says.  “I think some instincts are natural, but I think years of working at the NMC gives experience to understand what people and carers are coping with”.  She has been their point of contact, bringing together help from everyone in the NMC community. “ I couldn’t do this alone.”

Sue’s great ability is to be able to think outside the box, and one of her proudest achievements is that of the Retreat. “ When people come to the NMC for the first time, they are often very worried, having been given a diagnosis which it is difficult to learn anything about.  They also have to deal with a vast array of emotions - not just their own but also their families.  They need somewhere to off-load, away from the Centre.  It is good to have a quiet place, with beautiful grounds surrounding it. Just to sit back, take a deep breath and so face the world again.”

“I’m a very practical person, and realise that people need practical things in place in order to move forwards.  This ranges from equipment and adaptations to benefits, work and volunteering, using skills they already have or learning new ones.  Finding these things can be very difficult but when we work together as we have in the shed club then practical skills can be used with others who have been on the same journey.”

“The hardest part of the job?” Sue has no hesitation.  “It’s losing friends and colleagues.  This has a ripple effect not only on colleagues but also their families.  I have to support people in a professional way but also deal with my own feelings.  The emotional toll is difficult but at the Centre everyone is willing to give a bit of themselves to support others and on balance we have more laughs and positive experiences.”

So what does the future now hold for Sue?  “ Well’ I’ve just moved house, so there are things to do there,” she says,  “and I plan to spend more time with my family.......there’s my Mum, and my sister and of course there’s Mike and our children and grandchildren.  I love art and used to print and embroider pictures in the past so it will be lovely to take this up again.  I also love to travel - I’m not a beach person, but we have lots of friends in various countries around the world who we are planning to visit.  I am also hoping that we will have time for ourselves”. Hm, lots of sitting around then!

Final words on the Centre?  “I realised it would be difficult whenever I chose to retire, but it was important that support services would continue with a good cross-over.  Denise has settled well and we have until Christmas for her to further settle.  I have loved my time here and can’t imagine not working at the NMC, but I’ve not moved too far away and so will keep in touch.  I’ve met some amazing people - people with this condition are some of the strongest people I know, getting on with life and so motivating me”.

No comments:

Post a Comment