Monday 30 November 2015

Steve Bebe on the Radio

Many people have said over the years that you should be on the radio.  How did you get the opportunity to be on the radio? I was asked by our Community Fundraiser Amy Swatkins to join her on the “Charities Today” show on RedShift Radio to talk about the NMC, and after the show I asked the presenter about how you go about becoming a DJ on RedShift.  She told me to email Liz Southall who runs the radio station. So I emailed Liz and we arranged a meeting at the station to discuss what type of show I would like to do and straight away she offered me a time slot - which was fantastic. So I went back the following week for my training which including showing me how everything works and then I went on air for a short 20 minute trial, firstly talking to her on air and then leaving me on my own for about 10 minutes to play a couple of songs and do a few links, and then after that I was told i could start my own show! 

What does it involve and what do you actually do? I present a community news and music show called ‘What’s Happening with Steve Bebe’ which initially started on a Monday afternoon between 2 and 3 pm before moving to a new slot. In my first few shows I spoke about the different areas of the NMC and now I talk about upcoming fundraising events every week. I also did a spot about Nantwich Cricket Club (where i do the cricket scoring) during the cricket season, talking about the previous weekends results. I promote events going on in Crewe and Nantwich and also Redshift Radio events and other Redshift shows.

What have you learnt? I’ve learnt how a radio station works and how to set up shows with music, hub sweepers (which play over the start over an intro to a song before the vocals start) commercials and community highlight news at the top of the hour. I’ve also learnt about how to speak properly on air including remembering to give time checks and learning how to talk over songs, especially how to get the fader levels right - all very technical and very radio geeky things...Haha!!

What do you get out of it? The opportunity to finally fulfil a boyhood dream to be a radio DJ, following in the footsteps of my radio heroes like Steve Wright, Mark and Lard, Terry Wogan and Chris Moyles. It’s a lot better than playing your tape cassettes and CDs at home while talking to yourself (which is exactly what I used to do as a kid....and in recent years using my iTunes if I’m being honest...Haha!!) Also the fact that I get the opportunity to spread the word about the fabulous work that we do here at The NeuroMuscular Centre.

Has it impacted other areas of your life? Like I said above, giving me the chance to talk about the work that I do at the centre, and also promote The NMC on radio, gives me a huge sense of pride. Also it’s made me an even more confident person (and those of you that know me know I’m a very confident person)

Tell us about the new things you’re learning about radio editing and production? At the end of August, Redshift Radio relocated studios from Crewe to Nantwich and Liz asked me if I was interested in getting involved with the production and editing side of RedShift in addition to doing my radio show.  I was only too happy to do so. I started doing my additional role at the end of September, editing the community news and also adding backing tracks to our new Jingles...including my own....a very proud moment.

How and when can people listen in, make requests, and how can they catch up with shows they’ve missed? Since we relocated I’ve moved my show so now I’m on air every Tuesday evening between 6 and 8pm. We are an internet station so you can listen online at www.redshiftradio.co.uk/player or you can download the RedShift Radio app for free from your mobile app store (just search for ‘RedShift Radio’). You can also find us on the ‘Tune-In Radio’ app. You can send requests to my Twitter account which is @StevenBebe or www.twitter.com/ StevenBebe or message me on Facebook  www.facebook. com/steven.bebe but you may
have to add me as a friend if you’re not already. Alternatively you can call or text the RedShift studio on 01270 262 262 when I’m on air.

If you cannot catch me live, I always upload my show to Mixcloud for people to listen to the following day www. mixcloud.com/steven-bebe/ (you may have to create an account to do so, but it is free

No comments:

Post a Comment