Monday 1 May 2017

Alicante Holiday August 2016 by Dawn Wilbur


Hi lovely people! 

I’m Dawn…a little bit about my life with the Neuromuscular Centre which has played a major role for the past 22 years …. in a positive way, I hasten to add. I moved to Cheshire from Kent (my husband and I did not know a soul in Cheshire – scary!) and fortunately discovered  the NMC - situated only 4 miles away! Lynne Groves, Gordon Styles, Woolley and Cundall family (“the originals”) soon made us feel welcome and had me organized with physiotherapy sessions (cannot express how euphoric those treatments felt considering I had not received any physiotherapy for 19 years prior!)….hydrotherapy, office work, fundraising events and incredible, lifelong, friendships soon blossomed :) with many, many more amazing friends connected to this unique, innovative centre of excellence!

Anyway, if anyone is still awake! ..…I’d like to tell you the practicalities/niceties of my holiday experience to Alicante in August 2016; from a mother of a teenager (woteva!) point of view … oh, also, forgot to mention! I use a dual controlled, powered wheelchair for mobility and hoists for transfers – here goes… 

Alicante is the capital of the Costa Blanca with a mixture of historic buildings, beautiful beaches and serene harbour.  

A superb shopping centre with a huge choice of fashion shops, department stores, restaurants, and bars. 90% of the Cathedral can be viewed from a chilled, seated, eye level. Santa Barbara Castle overlooks spectacular views of the City and Mediterranean Sea - accessible via a levelled tunnel and manned lift. Beaches have wooden slatted ramps for wheelchair/pushchair access and one beach has special aqua-chairs to take you in to the sea.

We stayed at a Melia Hotel TRYP Alicante Gran Sol - accessible rooms which catered for medium sized wheelchairs, lifts were not very particularly spacious, restaurant and all employees were extremely helpful when required.  

MobilityEquipmentHireDirect.com  T: 0800 994 9000 hired a portable hoist for hotel which was in situ on arrival.

WheelchairAccessibleHolidayTaxis.com  T: 0800 622 6000  transfers ran smoothly: driver extremely helpful (took my headrest on the airplane)… dread being bobbed around in the back of a taxi like a nodding canine. 

Manchester T3 changing room is at departures only (as far as I know) gate 53 around or that area. I am flying in June so I am trying to liaise with airport access team to provide a portable hoist for arrivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment