Sunday 30 November 2014

My Care Package has changed my life - Tony Whitlan

 I have FSH-MD and I have been coming to the NMC for a number of years. I do enjoy my visits. I was diagnosed in 1984 and have gradually gone downhill since, to the point that about three or four years ago I was starting to spend more and more time in my house than I would have liked. I was having some physio locally, but they suggested getting a PA/Carer to help me get out and about in the fresh air, go shopping and also to help me enjoy me hobbies. They contacted Adult Social Services, who came to visit us and explained about Direct Payments.

I chose to do it myself. I make sure that I send my employees time sheets in on time to the company who deduct any Tax/National Insurance. The company also helps to advertise for PA's. You could also have a friend or family member who could help you.  

The Adult Social Services Team will discuss your needs, whether you require help to get up in the morning, help with meals, help with domestic tasks, help with appointments or help to fulfil hobbies and leisure interests.
 
I have enough hours a week to help with everything I need. I can now arrange to go out when I want to and do what I want. It also helps my wife Tracey. She works full time as an NHS nurse assistant, helps look after me and her Mum who has had a stroke and also keeps on top of things in the house. My PA does really help us both out. 

I would highly recommend having a PA/Carer. They help you to keep a bit of your sanity, they support you in getting out & about and enable you to fulfil your hobbies and interests. Don't delay, look into this today, it will change your life for the better. 

For more information about personal budgets go to www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how

Please remember that the NMC is here to support you so if you need some help and support with Personal Budgets, please speak to Sue Walker, Support Worker at NMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment