Sunday 30 November 2014

My Driving Experience – Paul Chadwick

I started learning to drive at the age of 17 and after 7 lessons passed my test. Freedom. After three cars and nearly 14 years of happy motoring things were starting to get more difficult with transferring in and out of the car, so I looked into getting my first WAV. 

I went to several Motability shows to see what vehicles were available and then I went for an assessment at Steering Development to determine what adaptations I would need. It was confirmed that I would need a six way adjustable seat, zero effort power steering, an electric handbrake plus a tail lift and remote control back doors.

After a great deal of searching I came across a five year old transit which was owned by another user at The NMC. It already had a tail lift fitted and was converted for rear passenger travel which was prefect! It then went to Lewis Reed to have the conversions completed. This was part funded by Motability as part of the Used Vehicle Scheme. 

As a result of this purchase, things were so much easier for me. It was great to be able to transfer to the driver’s seat whilst without getting wet and not having to rely on someone to put my wheelchair in and out of the boot. It gave me freedom to go out and about and that’s just what I did. I was able to travel to work, drive to Oulton Park to watch car and bike racing as well as driving to Scotland to stay with  my sister. 

This vehicle gave me another 9 years of happy motoring but then transferring was becoming difficult and it seemed to take me a long time. Also I was also finding it increasingly difficult to turn the steering. I thought it was going to be a simple upgrade of what I had but after another assessment from Motability things hit rock bottom. I was told that it would not be safe for me to continue driving as I was and that major changes would have to be made if I wanted to continue driving. 

This came as a massive shock with the real possibility that I might not be able to drive again. However we pushed on and then completed a Motability application. 
It was agreed that they would part fund a new vehicle and I would have to fund the remainder.

We concentrated on trying to find a suitable wheelchair for me to drive from. This wasn.t easy as I needed a chair low enough to be able to see out of the windscreen. I eventually chose the Storm 4 which I purchased with money that I had saved. I had another visit from Motability to look at suitable vehicles and their controls. They brought a VW Caddy, a Mercedes Sprinter and a VW Caravelle. The Caddy was good but unfortunately I could get low enough to see out of the windscreen. The Sprinter was ideal but I could not get it on the back yard as it was too big. So I decided to opt for the Caravelle. We tried several different types of hand controls which all felt alien to me and I started to feel that I wouldn’t be able to do it. The man from Motability had taken delivery of a new assessment vehicle that had a Tiller Bar fitted. I tried that and it felt like I was driving a scooter, something I driven a lot in the past. I felt comfortable using it. 
So I ordered the Caravelle with the adaptations including the Tiller Bar.  

Unfortunately this was going to take time so as I wasn’t driving, I had to rely on my Dad to drive me about which was frustrating and limiting. 

The first part of the conversion was done at GM Coachworks in Devon. This included all the interior alterations such as the drop floor and remote rear door and ramp. The second part of the conversion, the driving controls were done by Jim Doran in Coventry. During the conversion, I had to make two visits to the workshop to ensure that the positioning of the controls was suitable for me and also to finalise the position of the wheelchair clamp. 

Finally 12 months later, the van was ready for me to pick up. However, first of all I had to test drive the new vehicle. I felt quite stressed about this as I hadn’t driven for 18 months and I was wondering whether I would be able to manage. I drove it under instruction at only 15mph but it all went well. The van was then delivered to me and as part of the Motability Programme, I had 5 hours with an instructor. The controls took a lot of getting used to but the more I drove, the easier it became. 

Driving from the wheelchair is totally different but so much easier. Once I am in the driver’s position I push one button to close the rear door, another button to start the vehicle, wait for the driving system to start up and then I’m ready to drive!

I am now driving again and enjoying every minute of it! With the advances in technology driving for the disabled has never been so good 

My advice is as soon as you can get your licence, contact Motability and ask about having a driving assessment and about funding. Also, visit as many shows as you can to see what vehicle and adaptations are available. Everybody is different. Adaptations might take time but they are worth the wait. 

Happy Motoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment