Sunday 30 November 2014

Out and About - Marc Chapman – My indoor skiing adventure

Lately I've been feeling quite of an adrenaline junkie so I started searching the internet for activities that I could try. The first thing I found was skiing at the ChillFactore, which is the home of British Paralympic snow sports. I discovered that it provided people like myself the opportunity of skiing using equipment called a sit-ski. 

As soon as I found out about it, I rang them to see how soon I could get a slot to ski. The reply was “Thursday”. I took them up on their offer. I was really excited and couldn't wait to go skiing! 

I was told that we would need to bring my sling and some warm clothing. As luck would have it, it was on a promotion at half price so instead of being £50 it was only £25! 

On the actual day we had to be there for 11:30am so we set off early to make sure that we arrived in good time. When we got there we put my sling on, ready to be hoisted onto the sit-ski. They had a hoist there. As it was my first time they took their time making sure I was comfy and strapped in securely. Once we were all satisfied that I was secure and comfy, they took me out onto the snow and to the top of the slope using the ski lift that they attached with a strap to the sit-ski. At the top it looked quite steep, I started to get butterflies in my stomach as I was excited. Please note that they don't send you down the slope on your own, you have a skier attached to the back of the sit-ski to steer, so there is nothing to worry about. 

We set off down the slope sweeping from side to side picking up speed all the way. I enjoyed it so much that once I got to the bottom I wanted to go again so off we went back up to the top. 

It was an amazing experience and one that I'll never forget, I'll definitely be going back to do it again and I highly recommend it even if it is back to full price. It's so
good it would be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment