Sunday 30 November 2014

You Can Do It! - Millie Hawes…..

I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 2 and first came to the NMC at the age of 16. It was spooky moving from children's physiotherapy to adult's but totally worth it. 

I have fortnightly physio and hydro here at NMC which not only helps me maintain my strength, but it has also hugely increased my confidence as I can ask for advice from the friendly physios and other people in similar situations. There's always some great banter too! 

I'm now 18, have finished my A Levels and am Durham University reading Law which is terrifying but exciting too! The physios have provided a huge amount of support whilst I've been going through the process of getting funding for carers. The sessions themselves have made me feel fitter and more prepared for life in the big bad world. 

Not only this, but they have given me the chance to complete my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. In order to get the award I had to complete five sections: a year of volunteering, a year of physical activity, six months of learning a new skill, have a week away from home doing some sort of activity and complete a four day expedition. The physio and hydro sessions were part of my physical activity and the fitness that I developed from this, allowed me to trek 20km a day, for four days   across the Peak District using my powerchair. This was a huge challenge but totally worth it as I've now finished all sections of the award and will be invited to St James's Palace to meet the Duke himself! All of which I wouldn't have been able to do without the NMC. And now the next challenge ………university!

No comments:

Post a Comment