Monday 1 August 2016

My experience of moving property by Peter Marley

I attend the NeuroMuscular Centre regularly for physiotherapy and also work in the graphic design studio.  I have FSH Muscular Dystophy. 

At the start of June 2012 I moved into a new flat at Llys  Alarch, provided by Clwyd Alyn housing association, as I was struggling to live in my house due to the stairs. It was not disabled friendly and I kept having falls, so I decided to take the flat offered to me. 

I have a mobility scooter which I kept outside my flat, under my window.  This was not ideal but, Clwyd Alyn knew about it when they offered me the flat. I kept securely with a cover over it, charged it through the window and didn’t see a problem with that. There simply was no other option as I couldn’t get the scooter in my flat! 

After 3 years the housing officer spoke with me and told me that for health and safety reasons I could no longer keep my scooter where it was and therefore it had to be moved as it was a trip hazard.  I fought my corner and told them that it had been there since I had moved in and which they knew about but, with no luck.  I had to provide the adequate requirements needed by Clwyd Alyn. 
Clwyd Alyn informed me I could stay in my flat if I funded a safe electricity point to the scooter and paving slabs to mount it on.  I wasn’t prepared to do this and it didn’t seem right that I had to fund the works. 



In March 2015 I was offered a flat by Wales and West -  a new development in town with disabled facilities and a communal room to house and charge my scooter.  I would access my new flat via a lift.  I also have a key fob to access the building, and the room for my scooter. 
I decided to take them up on this and moved in on 16th March 2015. 

I did enjoy my time at Llys Alarch but, where I'm at now has much more to offer me.  I'm closer to the town and find that I can get around on my scooter outdoors more accessibly than at my other flat locality. 

I have made lots of new friends since the move and have a better social life.  I've even joined a Gym and accompany a friend to Slimming Word.  I decided to join and have lost almost 3 stone!  I needed to do this for health reasons.  I have achieved this by healthy eating. I'm eating more now than before and the weight it coming off because now I'm eating the right foods. 

I have recently purchased a new scooter - with a difference!  It’s a drive mobility sports rider – which looks like a Harley Davidson!  Its fantastic, and gets admired everywhere I go. I plan to go on holiday later in the year and I'm looking forward to the next phase of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment