Monday 1 August 2016

Struggling to drive your wheelchair? by Mark Chapman



Don’t worry there are ways around it. A few months ago I began struggling driving my wheelchair because my hand and my grip had weakened, so I was finding it difficult to move my controller to drive, my hand was forever falling off my control, it was always in need of repositioning and when my hand got cold I couldn’t drive at all. I thought that was it, I wouldn’t be able to drive anymore but it wasn’t. I spoke to my wheelchair dealer who provided my wheelchair and he told me I could get a mini joystick, which is a lot smaller than the usual control and it is more sensitive so you hardly have to move it to drive the wheelchair. This is one of the best pieces of equipment I have. It’s a lifesaver. Depending on the make of your wheelchair there are two manufacturers of mini joysticks, Dynamic for Sunrise Medical and RMS for Invacare, your wheelchair dealer will know which you need.
  
I now have a lot more confidence, I can control my wheelchair 10 times better and I can get around much easier without any worries. It cost around £1,400, I know it sounds expensive but you can get funding for it, I got funding from a charity called React. You can download an application form from http://www.reactcharity.org/applications.php 

No comments:

Post a Comment