Monday 1 August 2016

Fall Monitors - Jon McVey


 

Are you worried about falling? If, like me, you spend time on your own and are at risk of falling, then a fall sensor may help to put your mind at rest. For me, a nasty fall resulted in a couple of weeks in hospital. Luckily my family were about, but after this there was naturally concern about leaving me home alone. This is where we were advised to look at a personal alarm system with a fall monitor.  My system is provided by a local scheme and comes in a package together with a personal alarm button, worn on a wrist band or as a pendant.  The fall sensor is about the size of a small pack of cards and can also clip onto a belt. It is not a perfect system, on occasions it seems oversensitive, being triggered when I sit down, then again I do sit down with quite a thud!  It has worked however, when I have fallen and my feeling is that when it is really needed, it is likely to work. It is another backup if I cannot push my alarm button. Once triggered, a box connected to my phone, calls through to a 24hr call centre and a friendly, reassuring voice comes over a loud speaker.  If I don't respond, the volume increases and then failing any response, they call in help.  My system costs about £23 a month, provided through Staffordshire Housing Association, but it is a price I am prepared to pay to give me and my family a lot of peace of mind.  
 
Telecare assessment and providers 
  
Cheshire East Council        
Telephone: 0300 123 5010 
The Adult Social Care Team run assessments and if you are assessed as being eligible they will pay for the equipment, installation, removal and maintenance. You will need to pay a small charge which covers the cost of monitoring the equipment and any visits that you may need. 
  
Cheshire West and Chester
Telephone: 0300 123 8123 (option two)  
Email: accesswest@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk 
Telecare equipment will be provided, installed, maintained and removed free of charge. There is a weekly charge to cover monitoring and emergency mobile response. However, not everyone has to pay for their telecare service, as charges depend on individual financial circumstances. 
  
Other councils have similar schemes.  There are also many other providers and details of these can be found at tsa-voice.org.uk/service-provider-directory.

No comments:

Post a Comment